Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm ready for my closeup, Mr DeMille

No, it's not Gloria Swanson, but this guy sitting in the fig tree is at least as much a prima donna as her character in Sunset Boulevard ("primo donno"?). My last post had a picture of his mate on the hummingbird feeder, and he's around a lot, but he won't hold still long enough for me to get a picture. Yesterday and this morning, however, he did! We've never had hooded orioles stay around - usually spotted them passing through once or twice per summer, but this year they settled in and have raised two chicks who are as big as their parents now. Here's dad again, on the hummingbird feeder. He's a bit bigger than the birds it's designed for, to say the least! See how it tips . . . .
We're having a good time watching the finches at the feeders I picked up at the 99¢ Only store. I'd been missing house finches - don't miss them any more. They're here in droves now and I'm doubly glad I let all the wild sunflowers grow, because the house finches are bigger than the goldfinches and often take over the feeders and keep the goldfinches away. The goldfinches are getting more assertive, however. Here's a typical scene, with two house finches on the perches and one (not so patiently) waiting her turn:

I guess the biggest news is that Joe finished the shade house! Here it is the first night; the porch light is inside the structure so we can sit out there and read by it.
 It opens off the master bath. As you can see, we haven't really furnished it yet (the chair and metal table were put out by neighbors for the brush-and-bulky pickup; they will be painted. The chair is incredibly comfortable! One person's trash is indeed another's treasure!).
I'm not rushing to finish furnishing it, though we have put up a few things that you'll see in the next post. Part of the thrill is in the seeking, and the joy of serendipity (like finding that chair!).

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! I wish I had a room like that...

    ReplyDelete